What’s the simplest and most effective method to improve accuracy – sighting in your scope properly, of course! Learn how to sight in a red dot scope without shooting from this concise guide!
How to Sight in a Red Dot Scope Without Shooting
Before sighting in your riflescope, check that it’s mounted properly and snugly.
Boresighting involves aligning the scope reticle with your gun barrel’s true center (bore axis). These methods allow you to sight in without wasting precious ammunition.
A laser boresighter projects a dot on the target through a laser diode. This allows you to easily align your scope’s dot or crosshairs with your target. It works similarly to a laser pointer.
- ✹[Aluminum Material+ Exquisite Workmanship] OWLSHOOT laser bore sighter Using high-end aluminum alloy with exquisite
- ✹[30 Adapters Fit For More Models]Containing 30 adapters, Owlshoot Green bore sighting laser with multiple caliber can perfectly fit any .17-.78 caliber, rifles, pistols, handguns shotgun and scope....
- [16 Adapters Fit for .17-12GA Calibers]: Upgraded 16 bore adapters in set, the laser bore sight can be applied to all .17- 12GA calibers.The adapters are engraved with clearly visible serial numbers...
- [Specially Designed Arbor to Improve Stability]: Equipped with arbor for .54-12GA calibers allows the boresighter to fit barrels perfectly, providing higher stability and accuracy.
- [32 Numbered Adapters]: Bore sight kit comes with its extensive range of 32 adapters with serial number on each. This selection allows for unparalleled precision when it comes to differentiating...
- [Powerful Green Laser Beam]: Laser visible distance reaches 15-100 yards. Green laser has a greater wavelength distance compared to red laser, making it more suitable for long-distance zeroing. Class...
Experienced shooters recommend boresighters because of their efficiency and ease of use. Plus, this tool has minimal parallax, so you can adjust your gun without displacing its alignment.
The optical boresighter works like its laser counterpart, but without the laser diode. Like its laser counterpart, it’s screwed at the tip of the firearm’s barrel. You can see the red dot through the lens grid. Then adjust the crosshairs to align the target with your scope.
Now that you know each tool, it’s time to learn the entire sighting in process.
Boresight Your Weapon
After deciding on your starting range, mount your rifle on the shooting bench or any platform of your choosing. After which, you can boresight your weapon to have more accurate initial shots through your preferred boresighter. Here’s how:
- If you’ll be using laser boresighters, they come with a set of adapters that’s attached to the boresighter’s tip to tighten the beam. Screw in the one that’s compatible with the caliber you’re shooting.
- Attach the boresighter to your firearm’s muzzle.
- Switch on the boresighter.
- Use a daylight laser target or any standard target. Place the beam on the center of the target and bring down your scope’s reticle to the same spot. You’re now zeroed at 25 yards.
- [Available for Various Light Environemnt]: This 2nd generation Laser Tareget has environment lightness adjustment dial. Will work for various light environment. Respond rapidly and accuractely, much...
- [3 Switch modes]: OFF/ON(sound)/Silent, Choose the SILENT MODE when you may disturb others. And the power is turned off at the end of the training session.
- ✅ Need 1.2s to Register - Do not turm off the laser too quickly, the target does Not fit for 1 second auto-off cartridge, the target need 1.2s to register . It is not a good way to hit too quick or...
- ✅ Portable Size - Compact L*W*H Size at 9CM*4.5CM*13CM makes it be easy to keep and be easy to go.
- Package content: the package comes with 4 laser target card plates in different colors, 2 green and 2 red, which are applied to enhance the visibility and range of the green beam/spot and red...
- High visibility: the laser target plate is equipped with a reflective film on the back, which can enhance the laser's receiving ability, when you are working at a long distance or in an environment...
[This is for a daylight laser target with grids in one-inch increments.] For example, if you want your scope zeroed at a hundred yards, position your scope’s reticle 2 grids above the center dot for the average caliber. You can look up detailed load data for your cartridge to refine that estimate.
It’s very important that you’re comfortable with your shooting position to avoid sprain and muscle pain especially if you’ll be practicing for hours. Here a few additional pointers every time you zero a scope:
- Don’t forget to remove the boresighter before firing.
- [Optional] You can use a bench rest (or sandbags or a gun vise) for more stability.
- SPECS: Weatherproof tabletop is 34” W x 23” L and weighs 30 pounds and the allweather seat is 17” in height with a total weight limit of 250 pounds
- EASE OF USE: Table unfolds to setup and the ambidextrous seat pivots around the rear table leg for maximum shooting comfort
- SPECS: The highly durable, weatherproof tabletop is 34” x 23” and the allweather seat adjusts from 16”-22” in height with a weight limit of 275 pounds
- EASE OF USE: Table features a quick-release pin for easy seat height adjustment, an adjustable leg angle for use on uneven terrain and all movements can be locked to ensure a secure shooting bench
- ULTRA STEADY BENCH - This Ultra-Steady shooting bench offers a stable, comfortable, and spacious shooting surface for target practice or field hunting; It has the gun rest that is versatile to...
- COMFORTABLE DESIGN - The 21" wide x 28" long padded bench top of Birchwood Casey Ultra Steady Bench provides comfort and a non-scratch surface protecting your gun, while also providing two additional...
- Make sure your cheek is touching your firearm.
- Avoid moving your head and your firearm, especially while adjusting your optic.
- Wear eye and ear protection.
There you have it – the quickest ways to sight in your red dot scope without firing! These methods will save you plenty of money on ammo and leave more time to practice shooting, but you’ll still need to confirm your point of impact and refine for precision targeting afterwards.
Last update on 2023-11-13 / Images from Amazon Product API