Maintaining your gun’s performance and keeping it in excellent condition takes more than cleaning it regularly. It also involves storing it properly. Whether you’ll be storing your firearm long-term or short-term, we’ve got the best ways to store guns in this extensive guide. Let’s dive in!
Best Ways to Store Guns
A portable lockbox keeps your firearm secured from unwanted access while giving you quick access without the need for security codes or keys. Most lockboxes can be opened via biometrics or a hassle-free mechanical punch lock. As the name implies, these lockboxes are portable so you can conveniently carry your gun while traveling.
- Small safe is ideal for use as a travel safe or personal safe for protection and security from theft
- Secure small safe to a fixed object with cable; Portable safe is best used to protect smart phones, passports, cash, and credit cards
- 🔑【𝐖𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐨𝐟 & 𝐑𝐨𝐛𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐌𝐚𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐚𝐥】The portable security case is made of high-strength ABS plastic shell, lightweight and...
- 🔑【𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐚𝐜𝐭 & 𝐏𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐒𝐚𝐟𝐞 𝐁𝐨𝐱】Our portable safe security case has special exterior size: 8.5in x 4.3in x 2.6in(L*W*H), this...
- Indoor and outdoor safe with 3-digit custom combination code + key access
- Heavy-duty flexible steel cable to securely lock around almost any fixed object
Keeping your gun in a concealed carry holster has multiple benefits. First, you’ll have quick access to your firearm when the need arises. Second, most holsters are designed for concealed carry, so you can bring your gun anywhere without printing. Plus it keeps your firearm safe from others while you move about.
If you don’t have one yet, remember to choose the holster that’s right for you. You can have a shoulder holster, a belly band holster, or an ankle holster, as long as you’re comfortable wearing it, it keeps your gun secure, and it’s easily accessible (to you at least).
Car Gun Safe
A car gun safe allows you to bring your gun to work (or wherever need to) safely. Car gun safes are equipped with advanced technology security that can’t be easily tampered with. You can hide your gun inside a car gun safe and put it in your trunk or under a seat. Most car gun safes are compact so they wouldn’t take up too much space.
Gun cases are more than just bags to keep your gun when going to the range. They can also be used to store them. They serve as additional protection for your gun instead of just storing it bare in the closet (or wherever you keep your gun).
There are two types of gun cases – hard gun cases and soft gun cases.
Hard gun cases have tough exteriors and offer better protection against impacts. They are usually made from polymer or steel. These cases usually have foam interior paddings that offer proper insulation. On the downside, hard cases are more expensive and are heavier (and bulkier) than soft ones.
- PLANO PROTECTOR DOUBLE GUN CASE: Defend your firearms from damage with this hard-shell gun case. Designed to accommodate a single scoped or two non-scoped rifles or shotguns up to 50-inches long.
- CARRY WITH CONFIDENCE: Thick walled construction with interior interlocking foam provides durable reliability and protection of your firearms during travel or standalone storage.
- PLANO ALL-WEATHER TACTICAL GUN CASE: Protect your firearms from damage with the Plano All Weather 36-inch Tactical Gun Case. Continuous Dri-Loc seal creates watertight, dust-proof shield, protecting...
- RUGGED, INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH CONSTRUCTION is elevated with heavy-duty, dual-stage lockable latches for additional security.
- RUGGED CONSTRUCTION: The heavy-duty polymer construction of the Express Gun Case protects your weapon from general wear and tear. Convoluted foam bedding.
- SECURE LONG GUN STORAGE: This case is designed to fit (1) scoped rifle or shotgun. It is lockable and features (4) snap-tight lock hasps to keep your gun securely stored at all times.
Soft gun cases are typically made from nylon and ripstop materials, so they’re lightweight and water-resistant, but less durable and less impact-resistant than hard gun cases. One advantage of soft gun cases over hard ones is they have plenty of storage pockets and are expandable.
- 【Soft padded rifle case】1 1/2" total soft case dense foam padding to protect your gun. The inner material of the soft knit lining material can effectively prevent slight scratches and bumps.
- 【Rifle bag is made with high density fabric】Durable nylon water- resistant outer shell for long-term use in shotgun cases.Which is dust-resistant,shockproof,lightweight,Durability,abrasion.
- DESIGNED FOR SHOTGUNS: Keep your gun safe and securely zipped inside while traveling with this case. It fits most shotgun models for both hunting and the shooting range, providing a secure and snug...
- SOFT CASE: This 54-inch gun bag has dense foam padding and rugged endura fabric that protects against scratches, dings, and other potential damages.
- FITS MOST MODELS: Keep your gun safe and securely zipped inside while traveling with this case. It fits most shotguns and rifles for both hunting and the shooting range, providing a secure and snug...
- SOFT CASE: This 46 & 52-inch gun bag has dense foam padding and rugged endura fabric that protects against scratches, dings, and other potential damages.
One of the best options for gun long-term storage is a gun safe. Look for a gun safe with sturdy construction. You don’t necessarily need a fireproof safe, but it should at least be able to withstand high temperatures and other external impacts.
Gun safes are not entirely tamper-proof, but yours should be durable and secure enough not to be tampered with easily. Your safe should have a reliable locking mechanism with alarms in case of intruders or a fail-safe locking mechanism in case of unauthorized access.
Be sure to place your gun safe in a location where you have quick access to in case of emergencies.
Types of Gun Safe Locks
- Biometric lock – A biometric lock “works by scanning your unique fingerprint – which is generally stored on a connected electronic device. Fingerprints are pretty difficult to replicate or alter” so only registered fingerprints can access the safe.
- Keypad lock – A keypad lock “works simply by entering the correct code – normally a 6-digit combination. Some advanced locks can be programmed to have multiple users, time delay functions, courier overrides, master codes, and even audit trails to keep track of when the safe was accessed and by whom.”
- Mechanical lock – The most traditional type of lock is the mechanical lock. It can be opened using a key. These types of locks are ideal for those who have difficulty dealing with advanced technology.
Types of Safes
- A biometric gun safe uses a biometric lock for access. It eliminates unauthorized access and provides quick access to those whose fingerprints are registered. Who would have thought 20 years ago, fingerprint gun cases!
- Manual safes are opened via keys. Most safes these days are electronic and only have mechanical locks as backups in case of power interruptions.
- An electronic safe can be accessed through a digital keypad. It’s perfect for those who are prone to misplacing their keys.
- Fingerprint Gun Safe: Quick-access gun safe is absolutely important for a family. No matter to protect your handguns from your children or just to keep your items unaccessible while unsupervised. It's...
- Advanced Biometric Technology: ONNAIS gun safes for pistols are equipped with biometric fingerprint technology which is a proven method that is accurate and more secure than a traditional keypad lock...
- 【Fixed Anti-Theft Design】The Atripark gun safe keeps guns away from kids and deters theft by having a larger deadbolt and creating your own 8-digit passcode or locking it with a spare key. For...
- 【High and Large Capacity】Our gun cabinet fits practically anywhere for unrivaled convenience, gun locker holds handguns and up to 10 rifles, and comes with 2 removable shelves inside, so you can...
- 【3-5Gun Safe with Removable Shelf】: The rifle safe can hold 3-5 rifles up to 54" with/without scope.You can adjust the storage space by adjusting the shelves.External dimensions:11.8"W x 11"D x...
- 【Height-adjustable Rifle Slots Pad+Door Opening Angle 180º】：❶The gun safes for rifles and shotguns include 3 Slot pads for holding your rifles (2 Slots pad, 3 Slots pad, 5 Slots pad).The...
A stationary lockbox is bulkier and more rugged than a portable lockbox. Despite being heavy, most stationary lockboxes are designed to withstand impact and are waterproof. Because of their sturdy construction, a stationary lockbox requires a little bit of effort to tamper with.
Locking Security Cabinet
Locking security cabinets are perfect for those with multiple firearms. They’re more affordable than gun safes. And despite their big size, these cabinets are compact and lightweight.
Trigger locks are affordable but safe options for storing your firearms. They may not prevent theft, but they do prevent unauthorized users from firing a gun.
For Home Defense
A gun stored for home defense should also be kept locked in your safe or drawer but you should keep the magazine loaded. You can also choose from our favorite hidden gun storage ideas to prevent unauthorized access.
Burglars will most probably break into your house while everyone’s asleep. So it’s better to keep your gun in the bedroom inside the best bedside gun safe so you can easily access it when needed. If you’ve got kids at home, never leave your gun lying around, and always put it in places that are hard to reach for children.
If you need to safely keep a gun at home, make sure that it’s locked away in a vault or safe and in the least possible location that an intruder will check.
Factors That Affect Guns in Storage
Extreme heat and cold deteriorate rubber and plastic. And some gun parts like rifle stocks or handguards, pistol grips, magazines, and handgun frames are made of polymer and plastic so it’s essential not to expose them in temperature fluctuations.
Store your guns in moisture-free containers because moisture results in rust formation on your gun’s barrel and your trigger and firing pin can get stuck.
Sunlight can ruin your gun’s painted or anodized finish. Prolonged exposure to UV rays can also cause plastic gun parts to become brittle.
Oxidation occurs when a safe or container isn’t airtight. And exposure to oxygen results in corrosion and rust formation.
These factors should also be considered when storing ammunition as they can greatly affect your ammo’s quality and efficacy.
What to Do Before Storing Your Gun
Deep-Clean Your Gun
If you always visit the range but you don’t clean your gun often, then you’d have to bring out your gun cleaning supplies and do some serious firearm deep cleaning. But if you clean your gun regularly, then you can just clean it like any other day.
Apply Gun Oil or Grease
Once your firearm is nice and clean, don’t put away your gun cleaning kit just yet! Apply gun oil or grease into moving gun parts so they stay lubricated (and won’t seize up) even when not in use.
Silica Gel Packets
Silica gel packets are great for absorbing moisture. And like we said earlier, moisture is the worst enemy of stored firearms (and ammo).
- ✅ [ Fine Crystals < 1mm ] - Flower drying DIY craft purpose small beaded silica gels with dust treatment, to avoid physical impacts on petals, and more healthy. Please wear mask & gloves when...
- ✅ [ Color Indicating ] - Contains orange beads, when the orange changed to dark green, indicates the silica gels in saturation.
- Excellent Moisture Absorption - Desiccant beads have high moisture absorption, which can effectively absorb moisture from the air, keep the items in dry condition, prevent moisture from damaging the...
- Reliable - White silica gel beads have the highest performance compared to colored beads, can be mixed with other colored beads, and its excellent thermal and chemical stability can effectively absorb...
- 6lbs silica gel for flower drying; Fine silica gel beads are stored in an air-tight sealed container for long-term preservation and protection; The handle makes it easy to carry and pour
- Fine Silica Gel Crystals＜1 mm, lightweight flower drying sands puts less pressure on fresh flowers, beads will absorb moisture without damaging flowers, altering the colors or changing their shape;...
Gun socks provide added protection to your guns. Some gun socks are also treated with silicone so they help reduce the formation of rust.
- 【Gun Socks Set】- The set includes 4 pieces knit gun socks in 4 colors for you to choose, different colors can help you to distinguish and control the guns and the quantity is sufficient for you to...
- 【Extra Wide Size】- Gun socks size: 48 x 5 inch/ 123 x 12 cm, which is elastic and flexible. The knit gun cover can be stretched and widened which can adapt to the size of most guns and effectively...
- 【1pcs Gun Sock】- Gun socks set includes 1pcs light gray knit gun socks, it can help you to store you gun and the gray color can make you gun be distinguished easily.
- 【Elastic and Extra-wide】- Gun socks are elastic and flexible, their size are 48 × 4.3in. Knit gun covers can be stretched can stretch up to 10in/26cm and make it easy to slide your gun into the...
- VERSATILE GUN SOCK: A great addition to your gun accessories, this gun sock fits rifles and shotguns with or without scopes. It measures 52" and features a drawstring elastic closure.
- PREMIUM MATERIALS: Made of silicone-treated polyester fabric engineered to resist moisture build-up, this gun safe accessory can help prolong the service life of your rifle or shotgun by preventing...
What is the best rust prevention for guns?
These items inhibit rust from forming on your stored firearms.
- Dehumidifiers – Even if you live in a relatively dry climate, it’s still necessary to keep the humidity of your gun safe at low levels. When hot air from outside gets into the safe it can quickly begin to get humid and then wet [especially if there is moisture on the interior walls].
- ADVANCED HOME DEHUMIDIFIER: Our dehumidifiers adopts semiconductor condensation technology with quiet working feature, efficiently for removing the moisture in the air, enjoy comfortable life
- AUTO SHUT OFF: Smart dehumidifier with auto shut off function when the water tank is full or in a wrong position, perfect to prevent the water from overflowing when you did not notice, very safe and...
- Fast & Quiet Dehumidifier for Home: Removes moisture quickly and quietly with advanced semiconductor technology. 42oz water tank for ample storage. Sleek design, easy-to-use controls, and healthy...
- Safe Auto Shutoff Dehumidifier: Worry-free operation with automatic shutoff feature. Dehumidifiers for bedroom prevents leaking or overflow when water tank is full. Red indicator flashes to remind you...
- High Efficient Dehumidifiers for Home: Still annoyed about the muggy weather? Just Take it easy! have a try at TABYIK 35OZ Peltier dehumidifier, in a closed small room with humid environment of 86°F...
- Small Dehumidifiers with Colorful Light: There is a separate light button, which can emit 7-color romantic atmosphere lights for you, and the ultra-quiet operation (28dB) creates a comfortable and...
- Silica gel – Silica gels are good for keeping moisture out of your safe.
- Cosmoline – is a “trademarked brand of petroleum-based, wax-like corrosion inhibitors. Its chemical composition consists primarily of a homogenous mixture of oil-based, non-polar hydrocarbons.”
- RELIABLE, LONG-TERM RUST PREVENTION - Indoors or Outdoors. Protects for Years.
- EASY-TO-APPLY & REMOVE - No Mess! Stays in Place. Wrap On....and Unwrap!
- High quality PVC vinyl
- Hook 'n Loop backing
- GREAT FOR- Electrical connections, engine components, equipment storage, fasteners, motors, salt spray
- PROTECTS- Metal surfaces, resists salt spray and humidity
- Vacuum seal bags – are airtight and constructed from high-quality materials. These specialized vacuum gun storage bags serve as barrier protection against oxygen that causes corrosion and rust formation.
- All metal rust protection for 3+ years.
- Open top custom closure. Customize & cut to size for smaller parts & accessories.
- Range duffle bag Exterior Dimensions: 15"x12"x10" (WxDxH).Interior main compartment Dimensions 14" x 8" x 9"(WxDxH).
- Gun range bag is made of 600D nylon fabric, durable, water-resistant and heavy duty. Lock style zippers for main compartment (zippers didn't include lock)
- 5+ YEARS OF RUST PREVENTION for subcompacts to full size semi auto pistols or revolvers.
- CONTROLLED MICRO-ENVIRONMENT - full of anti-corrosion chemistry for unmatched corrosion prevention. Unlike with single layer bags, our multi-layer design which incorporates proven flexible packaging...
Should you store guns in a case?
Yes, storing your gun in a case keeps them protected from external physical impacts and factors that can degrade its performance.
Is it better to store guns vertically or horizontally?
Store your guns with the muzzle pointing downwards. Never store your gun butt down. The reason is if you store your firearm butt down, any residual gun oil or cleaning solvent “will trickle through the chamber, the firing pin holes, into the lock mechanism, and finally onto the wood of the stock. This can soften the wood and damage the stock irreparably.” But if you put your gun away with the muzzle down, the oil will only flow down to your gun safe, and you can easily wipe and clean it.
The bottom line is, no matter where you store your guns, as long as they’re protected from moisture and sealed from any potential external pollutants (and you followed our cleaning and storage tips above), they’ll definitely stay in mint condition.
Last update on 2023-11-10 / Images from Amazon Product API